Forensic English and Arabic Name Filter
FNames is primarily an intelligence gathering tool used in the quick assessment of computer data to identify the names of individuals associated with a specific computer. The software was designed with military and law enforcement intelligence needs in mind and NTI only makes it available for sale to military, government and law enforcement agencies. The functionality of FNames was moved from Filter_I is mentioned and described in the books Computer Forensics, Computer Crime Scene Investigations by John R. Vacca and Cyber Crime Investigator's Field Guide by Bruce Middleton.
FNames can also be used as a computer forensics lead identification tool to quickly identify English, European and Arabic given names stored on computer hard disk drives and/or in computer storage media. This is an invaluable tool for use in investigations and intelligence gathering because the tool will quickly list a majority of the names of individuals stored on a specific computer storage device. It operates in just minutes to do the work that would normally take weeks or months of tedious forensic data analysis using standard forensic visualization tools, e.g., EnCase and ILook. Because the software is "name aware" it also provides much more capability in identifying names than a data indexing tool, e.g., FTK. This patented tool is unique and its use is invaluable in military intelligence, law enforcement intelligence and in identity theft related investigations.
FNames software relies upon pre-programmed artificial intelligence logic to identify patterns of data which are likely the names of individuals. The program not only identifies first names but it also identifies middle names (or middle initial) and last names as well as titles associated with the name. The logic relied upon by FNames is so unique that NTI was issued Patent No. 6,263,349 by the U. S. Patent Office. There is no other software tool like this and it can make or break a case when multiple individuals are involved in the commission of a crime. It can also turn hours into minutes concerning intelligence gathering activities involving either Arabic or English name issues.
FNames software is 100% compatible with MS-DOS and with Windows 9x and WindowsNT/2000/XP. However, when executed from Windows, FNames runs at a much faster speed. By default, all supported English and Arabic given name types are searched for automatically and the speed of this program is very impressive. However, the operating speeds are dependant upon the operating speed of the processing computer. On our test computers the processing speeds exceed 20 million bytes per second in some tests.
At the option of the user, FNames software can be used as a data sampling tool when used to process Windows swap/page files. It can also be used to identify essentially all relevant English and Arabic name combinations on a subject computer when it is used in conjunction with NTI's SafeBack evidence grade backup software. Once the user identifies potentially interesting leads, e.g., an unknown name that is found several times on the subject computer, then all occurrences can be identified and reviewed in context through the use of a computer forensic search utility like NTI's Text Search Plus. Be aware that this tool does not deal with names stored in compressed or encrypted forms.
FNames - Primary Uses:
- Used in intelligence gathering when time is a critical factor. This tools quickly identifies names of individuals that were previously unknown in military actions and in law enforcement investigations.
- Used to quickly identify English, European and Arabic given names stored on a subject computer hard disk drive. This feature can also provide a significant benefit in identity theft and consumer fraud investigations.
- Can be used as a very quick sampling tool with Windows swap/page files or to process an entire computer hard disk drive when used in conjunction with NTI's SafeBack evidence grade backup software.
- Can be used to identify the frequency, spelling and format of the names of known individuals who are involved in an investigation. This feature is helpful in the crafting of key word lists for use in the search of a subject hard disk drive or other computer storage media involved in an investigation.
FNames - Program Features and Benefits:
- DOS based for speed. The speed of operation is amazing.
- No Software Dongle! - We know that software dongles get in the way and they restrict your ability to process several computers at the same time. That is why NTI does not use software dongles and our licensing of this software allows you to process multiple computers at the same time. NTI's goal is to make your life easier and this software was designed with ease of use in mind.
- Not sold to the general public so the 'bad guys' don't know the potentials of the program.
- Automatically processes any data object, e.g., a swap file, a page file, a file constructed from combined file slack, a file constructed from combined unallocated space, a Windows swap/page file or a SafeBack bit stream backup image file.
- Provides output in the form of a dBASE III file which can be evaluated with standard word processing programs, database programs, spreadsheet programs and specialized analysis software provided free of charge by NTI to licensed FNames software clients.
- Creates an output log file that documents the process, licensed user and findings to supplement testimony in court regarding the use of the tool.
- Capable of processing ambient data files that are up to 2 gigabytes in size.
- Automatically identifies English and Arabic names written in any number of formats, e.g., first name-last name, last name-comma-first name, etc. without the entry of targeted names or targeted strings of text by the user of the program.
- Can be operated in a batch file mode separately or with other forensics processes to automatically identify relevant English names and the frequency of a given name associated with a targeted computer.
- Free Upgrades for one year from the date of purchase.
- Quantity discounts and site licenses are available.
The current release is Version 1.01 and the GSA Product Number is FNam1.01. U. S. Government clients should click here for information about GSA purchases.
Please direct E-Mail to